by Giovanna Ribes and Alejandra Hernández
Sands, seas, faces suspended in the illusion of a different world. Women who cover themselves with bright colours and who look at the horizon, at the future they want for their children after more than 26 years of permanence in the refugee camps in the Tindouf province in Algeria. Women who are forced to maintain a strange nomadism among their prison of sand, a country of citizens willing to help and Governments that do not define their position. In Melfas, both, the visual design and the sound piece, arise from the collaboration and the parallel work, from the interference of a media with the other, from experimentation.
- Title: Melfas
- Genre: videoart
- Nationality: Spain
- Running time: 13:30
- Shooting format: HDCam
- Delivery format: DVD
- Ratio: 16:9
- Colour: colour/ White & Black
- Sound: Stereo
- Camera, editor and graphics: Giovanna Ribes
- Some visual sources were taken from Nube Negra y la Pellegrina Producciones
- Shot at Xilxes Beach, Valencia and Sahara
- Bits of sound used worked in post-production: Sahara songs and a musical extract of guitar taken from a Sahara Wedding recorded by Giovanna Ribes.
- Alejandra Hernández recordings of sound samples of cello were manipulated for Melfas by Gustavo Martín (cellist). Other sounds from the collection of the composer were used for the sound design of this project.
- A proposal by Cicle Art and UPV